What Is Biofloc Shrimp Farming?

Most of the world’s shrimp are farmed in large, outdoor ponds. Shrimp farmers fertilize their ponds to create an algal bloom that feeds the eyelash-sized shrimp. There are good things and bad things about farming shrimp in ponds. Ponds are a very low-input method of shrimp farming–there is less labor, less feed, and generally lower costs associated with farming shrimp in ponds. However, ponds are also particularly susceptible to changes in the weather, predators, and disease outbreaks, and they cannot produce nearly as many shrimp as intensive systems.

Biofloc shrimp farming replaces the algae of outdoor shrimp ponds with beneficial bacteria and protozoans.  Like algae in outdoor shrimp ponds, the microorganisms in our biofloc are a feed source.   These microorganisms not only act as a midnight snack for the shrimp, but also provide biological filtration for our shrimp by metabolizing nitrogen waste products.  Think of them as the trees in our environment, but instead of recycling harmful carbon dioxide to the oxygen we breathe, the biofloc recycles a harmful form of nitrogen to a neutral form of nitrogen. Many studies have shown that shrimp grow better in biofloc systems. Scientists also hypothesize that the biofloc bacteria outcompete harmful, pathogenic bacteria like Vibrio spp. that can cause shrimp and human diseases, similar to the probiotics you may have heard about.

All of our shrimp at Dairyland Shrimp are grown in an indoor biofloc system. We believe that this method is the next step forward in producing shrimp. You can eat our shrimp knowing they are happy, healthy, and harmless to the environment. To learn more about biofloc shrimp farming, visit shrimpnews.com to read the article entitled “Meet the Flockers.”

13 responses to “What Is Biofloc Shrimp Farming?”

1. un bon article que je vais surement relayer, par contre êtes vous sur que ça marche vraiment ?

2. Paritosh Halder says:

I will be ever grateful,if you send me the technological know how about biofloc pond culture.
    With best regards.
    P.Halder ,MOB.9563838229

3. Raymond Dalaise says:

Hi, I’m happy to encounter new pionners, I’m now ryin’ to install a shrimp farm in France but as the ground is very expansive, i’ve the only solution of bowls of differents sizes with a closed water circuit (L.Stylostratus, P. Japonicus, P. Serratus and Rosenbergii. Surely, i’ll use probiotics used in <Europe but as biofloc system is'nt developed enough here , I would have some other informations about it. May thanks for any answer & h've a nice day R.D

4. Tony Dang says:

Dear,
    I would like to start-up a biofloc shrimp farm in Viet Nam. Could you please send me technical instructions for biofloc shrimp farm? Thanks a lot for any answer.
    Best regards

• Thang says:

Hi tony dang iam,in vietnam and i also very much interested about biofloc technology for shrimp farm i also want to start up this project. can we discuss more on this. message me on 0937970668.

• Huy tran says:

Hi Tony. my name Huy I’m in the process of starting biofloc farm in Phan Ri.

5. RAMESHBABU says:

Hi I am RAMESHBABU from India interested to start biofloc culture.
    Please guide me my mobile no 07010303194

6. Naresh patel says:

Sir

I m interested in biofloc firm so kindly provide some necessary information expecting your reply
    Naresh Patel

7. Naresh patel says:

Iam interested in biofloc so send me details on e mail — nick.naresh17457@gmail.com
    my mob non +919825110138 India

8. john rezeil rosell says:

Hello Sir ! i’m planning to have my own biofloc farming, can you send me the technicalities of the process?

9. Kim Nguyen says:

Hello,
    I am looking into Biofloc shrimp farming and would like more information on it. I’m located in San Jose, CA.
    Kim Nguyen